View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Before my first flight with Toto, I talked at length with her vet about my plans. She said absolutely that Toto was not to be sedated ... she was tiny. So ... I ordered her Sherpa carrier, sat it in the middle of the den floor, unzipped the front and the top and waited for her to show interest ... she showed none! I dropped a favorite toy in the very back and she would peek in but would not go in there. The next day I dropped a favorite treat in the back and waited/watched as she kept slowly peeking in several times and after quite some time she quickly flew in there, grabbed the treat, ran back out and ate it. It was really funny to watch but I learned that if everything associated with that carrier was fun and happy, she would go in there. I always talked to her with the "happy voice" that she loves and soon she would go in and out with nothing to lure her in. I put one of her favorite little blankies in and soon she would go in and nap, etc. After that I would zip her up and take her in the car to visit places that she liked and just always making her carrier a fun/happy place to be. I also taught her that the only way in or out was through the front .... even if the top is unzipped and wide open. She loves to stand up and look out the top but she has never, ever jumped out ... she always waits for the front to be opened to exit the carrier. It took 2-3 weeks to teach her but she quickly learned that the carrier was not scarry but a really fun place to be and we have been flying with her for 7+ years.

Good luck with your little one and I hope she loves flying as much as Toto does!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!