Thread: My big Yorkie
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
mariemorris1221
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Question My big Yorkie

Last year a friend of mine and I were returning home and saw a cardboard box sitting beside our driveway. The day was extremely hot too and had reached over 100 degrees. Beside the box was the most adorable bundle of plunder I have ever seen and could not believe my eyes. Sitting beside the box was what I later was told by two vets was an approximately 5-week old Yorkie. We named him Rocky, because he's really a tough guy and we love him like a child. I know that the breed standard says that a Yorkie shouldn't be over 7 lbs., but Rocky is not a small dog by any means. He weighs about 12 lbs. and is about as tall as our Jack Russell Terrier. Both vets that we take our dogs to, told me that there are pure bred Yorkies that get that large, and I've seen two that appeared to be all Yorkies that were at least that large.

My question is, how can I tell if he's a pure bred Yorkie without knowing anything about his parents (DNA?) and also, can a Yorkie be that big?

I had his long fur clipped off because of the summer heat here but I can post photos of this little dog if it would help identify whether or not he's really a Yorkie.

Just curious about it as it in no way impacts the way we feel about this little guy who's become part of my family real fast. He even gets along with our Jack Russell who's two years older than Rocky.

Thanks for tips.
Marie
mariemorris1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!