View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Twitterpate
Yorkie Yakker

Ok, this is going to sound weird but....

Considering the number of products out there, I was amazed with one that I found at Walmart. It's an off brand, and it's been long enough now that my memory does not serve me on its exact name. However, it is always down toward the bottom shelf where the home flea sprays are. It is an aerosol can. I believe it was golden colored, but don't take that for sure. Just check them out and you'll find it. It has on the front that it kills fleas, flea eggs, and continues to kill both for 30 days as well as staying as a protective barrier (the 30 days could be 60...as I said, it's been awhile). However, I glance periodically to make sure I still see it on the shelf, and I'll be picking some more up just to have at home with the type of flea season it appears we will have at the new place.

As it is an aerosol, it goes further than a pump without killing your hand. It is safe to use on furniture, carpets, etc. When we had our last experience, we did as you are doing, but additionally, take all the cushions off your furniture and make sure to spray under them. We also sprayed around each door at the bottom and the bottom half of the screens on the windows (since the cats liked to jump up and sit there). We did this at the same time we put a monthly topical on the dogs/cats. We kept the animals cooped up and away for about 15 minutes to allow any residual in the air to settle and to make sure anything that might be damp had time to dry. Since I have asthma, I was the canary in the cage used to test that there was nothing in the air before turning the animals loose.

I can honestly say I was floored at how well this stuff worked. It actually did a better job than the professional extermination I had used the previous year. AND because it killed the eggs, it broke the cycle, which is the ONLY way you get rid of them. It does seem that fleas are getting more and more impervious to insecticides, but the eggs ARE the key. Vacuuming more than normal is also very helpful, just be sure you seal up that bag, or dump it in a trashcan that goes immediately out.

Hope this helps, and when I run by wallyworld the next time, I'll get the name.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!