Thread: Renal failure
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
smepperson
YT Addict

Cry

Hi Jamie,

I am so sorry you are going through this. We just lost our darling of 14 years from complications of renal failure in October. They gave Gizzy 2 wks to 2 months and we were able to keep him another 7 mos. His initial creatinine was 10.9 and BUN was 136. Super high and we almost lost him from negligence ( our vet of 5 years gave us a bag of sub-q, one lesson and sent us on our way). Needless to say we did not listen and all three of us worked our butts off to keep him as long as possible.

That said, please go to yahoo groups - K9 Kidney. Facebook - CRF Dogs. Both of these groups are great support and have excellent suggestions for diet, etc. Also DogAware.com: Diet & Health Info for Man's Best Friend has tons of info on kidney failure and it's maintenance.

The main thing is to keep the phosphorous down, the anemia in check and lower that BUN. BUN is lowered with fluids as you know. We kept a journal of how much water Giz was taking in per day and made sure he had above the recommended amount every day. We had to syringe water - he would not drink from his dish - and we accounted for every drop. He was so very good about it. We also hand fed - k/d, egg whites for the protein (no protein is not bad for crf dogs) and kept an account of every morsel of food in his journal as well. Vomiting can be controlled with carafate. Pet Tinic is great for the anemia. Aluminum Hydroxide powder gel (amount specified by the vet) added to food can help lower phosphorous levels - it is better than tums because tums has too much calcium after a certain point. Pepcid AC is usually given to maintain the tummy.

I know this is a lot of information. I feel your desperation. I was there. I refused to give up. Gizmo was right there with me every step of the way, as was my hubby. Yes there are things you can do but it is a tough ride. So many ups and downs but worth every bump in the road. Giz actually had more good days than bad once we had him stabilized. He even played and did a bit of chasing again for a while. I must warn you that the end is not easy ~ I had a very difficult time letting go. I think he was ready a week before I did let go but he hung on for me. He was an amazing being. It sounds as though your little one is amazing as well. If she is still kissing, eating etc. it sounds like you still have some time with her. Please check out the links I provided and feel free to PM me if you would like.

Finally, only you and your baby know for sure what's happening with her. Enjoy every moment. Again, I am so sorry you have to go through this but you are not alone. Love, Light and Healing to you both.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!