Thread: Breeding
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

intilis is so right. I used to show and raise Himalayan cats. It is a lot of work and it costs a lot of money. You buy the best stock you can, you have to be able to travel fairly frequently to show your animals and to seek out the right stock. Supplies can get pretty expensive as well and you have to be able to groom your animal properly. There are those who can pay to have someone else show and groom their animals but unless you have a very good income I doubt as a beginner you are going to do that. Any money made by the sale of kittens/puppies goes right back into the business. It is a business/hobby but not the kind you make a profit with. It is constant investment to improve and maintain your animals. You have to get to know the other people involved in the breed and that can be fun but it also can be difficult. Not everyone involved with animals are the nicest people you would want to meet. It is very competitive and there are those who are willing to help a newbie and those who will not give you the time of day. On top of it all there is the fact that if you are raising animals that carry genes that can result in a defective pet someone may very well want you to pay for that problem. I haven't been on YT very long but I have learned much about the health problems Yorkies can have. It's very sad and it is enraging to see the number of irresponsible breeders that are breeding dogs that have these health problems in their background.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!