Thread: Breeding
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

I don't breed Yorkies. I am new to Yorkies but years ago I did breed Maltese for a short time. The first thing you have to do is get good breeding stock and that is not an easy thing to obtain. No good breeder is going to sell good breeding stock to just anyone. A good breeding female is going to cost you a lot of money. Going to shows and subscribing to the breed publications is a start. You need to find out who owns the good lines and try to establish contact with them. They don't want their stock becoming stock for a backyard breeder. If you are really serious about showing and breeding you might have a chance. Some breeders might be running out of room for good breeders and if they find they can trust you may sell you some stock but may also want a pick puppy in return.
There are so many serious problems that you can encounter by breeding these dogs when you know nothing about genetics or what weakness are in the dogs background. Breeding the wrong dogs can cause so much hurt to someone who purchases a pup who they later find is going to have long term health problems. If you read on this forum long enough you will see people who have dogs that do have long term health problems that are heartbreaking for the owner and the dog because they bought from an irresponsible and uninformed breeder. Think of the owner who saved and saved to buy their little furry love bug only to find that the dog has defects that require hundreds and even thousands of dollars to treat.
If you really want to breed research, research, research and find someone who is a successful and honest breeder who will help you learn. There are several serious genetic problems that Yorkies can carry and you need to be aware of the background of your dog.
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!