Thread: Breeding
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbran View Post
Thanks for answering me with some information. I know everyone prefers to leave it up to the" professionals", but they were not born professionals they had to start from some place, so maybe I too can become a"professional" in time just like them. Please take no offense none is intended.
It's something I am thinking about but do not intend on doing at this point.
Well, here is where the good professionals start. You start to study the breed; start with the AKC standard, order the illustrated standard from www.ytca.org. Start to go to the dog shows and watch the Yorkies there. Start to meet the breeders and exhibitors of Yorkies. You have two Yorkies, once you establish some contacts at these shows, or if you have a local breed club join them, have them go over your dogs, get an honest appraisal. Go to genetics seminars. Train your dogs in obedience, or rally, or agility, and get to meet more ppl, because that is often where you will get to meet the breeders who also compete with their dogs. Study structure, watch movement, learn coat texture, color. There are many good instructional videos out there; Dog steps is one I particularly like.

Learn all about the health problems of Yorkies, read everyday in the sick and emergency section at least 20 minutes. It is sobering information for a would be breeder.

In short there is no short way to become a "good breeder". Practically speaking anywhere from 5-10 yrs of studying, training, showing some pups to their championship, assisting in whelping, in evaluating litters, in analyzing structure, in putting your hands on as many Yorkies as possible.

Bluntly speaking no excellent breeder, will place/entrust a stud of their line, with someone they don't know, has never bred before or shown.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!