View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I agree with lillymae in making sure that the momma is spayed before leaving your home. Then you have a choice of offering the pups for sale with a spay & neuter contract (1) Registration applications given when proof of spay & neuter or (2) a large rebate (like $100-$200) offered when proof of spay & neuter is given or (3) keep the puppies until you can spay & neuter yourself.

I would definitely give the applications for registration though if the litter is AKC register able. I am forgetting details of your particular circumstance -- there are so many different things going on! If you can register the litter through AKC, I recommend doing so. There are many benefits -- most of all I believe in supporting a worthwhile organization that is doing a good job of public awareness and establishing history of dogs registered with them. They could do a better job in policing the breeders but they are doing quite a bit. If we don't register with them, then we are not supporting their actions. They have to make money somewhere to pay for all of the programs, inspections, record-keeping, shows, etc..... that they sponsor! I try to get everyone I know to register their puppies with AKC if they can. There are no other US registries that I would support or send one cent to! Too many of them are no more than a way to falsely legitimize puppymills!!!

Has she really agreed to you taking HALF of all the money from the puppy sales? How much are you really paying for vet & food? I know there is the potential for huge vet bills but if all goes well, it is really not that much after the mating is already done, unless a C-section is needed. I just hope this doesn't backfire if she feels she has been sort of pushed into something after the fact. You know what I mean? I want to repeat a previous caution I made -- any agreement between the two of you should be put into writing! There is just too much potential for legal problems.

Last edited by FlDebra; 05-02-2011 at 10:17 PM.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!