View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvTaycieGirl View Post
I have read that article... in fact that is the article that got me thinking but it confused me too. Basically what I understood not to over vaccinate or even vaccinate at all. (Sorry, I am still trying to "get it") Is vaccinating every 3 years to much?

So.. what I am thinking is for me right now is do her 1 yr boosters and then stop?? And then just continue with Rabies and Bordatella.. If I was to stop those would be the only 2 I would do..

But.. I don't know what I will do..I am going to do her 1 yr boosters/ Rabies and then decide.. What do you do for yours?
Basically, every pup needs the puppy series and 2 Rabies vaccines within the first year to develop immunity.
Then I follow the law in my state with Rabies. I am dropping the DHPP bc in my case (older dogs) mine are immune for life. I also won't vaccinate for anything that is treatable, ie: Lymes, Lepto, Bordatello, Dog Flu, Dental vaccine, Giardia etc. Most of these are just too new on the marketplace. Once they have real life statistics behind them or have been recalled, I may reconsider. Of course, not having some vaccines will keep you out of some places, but it's not worth the risks to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcmsw View Post
I did read an article (don't know if it was that one) regarding not over-vaccinating...
Times are different that's for sure. Makes you wonder what the right thing to do really is. When I was growing up apparently our family never had our dogs vaccinated and they all lived to a ripe old age.
All the dogs I had previous to the Yorkies got their first set of shots and that was it, all died of old age. But that was 'country/small town living' - vets didn't think multiple shots were necessary. 'get 'em through puppyhood and they'll be good to go' was the attitude by vets then and there.
Our regular vet said the first three set were the most important + rabies (but he says that's just to spare your dog being quarantined in the event of biting someone as the likelihood of actually getting rabies is so small)
Rabies is more common in some areas than others. I do feel it is an important vaccination, as is DHPP. But, once immunity is established, more vaccinations do not increase that immunity, in fact, that immunity renders any subsequent vaccinations inactive. Inactive in the sense that they do nothing to increase a dogs protection, not that they do nothing to the dog. The immune system still kicks in and goes to work eliminating the new vaccine.

(The really scary thing is that this research was done in 2004 & 2006)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!