View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
LuvTaycieGirl
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniMan View Post
A few things:

1. you should be comfortable with the vet you have, you should be able to talk to them, give them your concerns and make decisions regarding your dog together. You should not feel bad leaving them if you are not comfortable or if they are not open to listening to and addressing your concerns. However, you should not leave them because they say something different then someone on a forum.

2. Your vet is one of your best resources for this question- because they know what vaccines are very important in your area. For example, my vet recommended not vaccinating my dogs for Lepto, in our area and for my dogs situation he did not feel they were at risk. However, in some areas Lepto is a huge concerns and then dogs should be vaccinated.

Me, personally- I think 1 year boosters are important. I also think Rabies is important and have it done every three years according to law and would never not do that. Beyond one year boosters I titer and vaccinate as necessary.

I am very against over vaccinating, however, I also think we need to be careful not to withhold vaccines that can protect our dogs from very dangerous diseases.

Good Luck with your choice.

Thankyou for your advice! I really don't want to leave my vet. I am going to talk more with her at this next visit and see what she recommends. I absolutely agree with you when it comes to seeking advice from a vet vs a forum. I am rather seeking opinions and advice on the subject as there seems to be so many different ideas out there and I am rather confused.

My vet also does not vaccinate for Lepto here in UT. She said it is not needed here and it would not benefit her to have it. Taycie has never had the Lepto Vaccine.

1yr boosters seem smart to me along with Rabies and then go from there. I recently have read so many awful stories on vaccines I just started to get nervous. What exactly is a titer test? Does this just basically tell what vaccines she really could benefit from?

Thanks for your help!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!