View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
ArmaniMan
I ♥ Armani & Chloe
Donating Member

Welcome!

First a few questions? Did you get him at 6 weeks old? from where? Also does he have potty pads in his pen with him?

Okay- if you did get him at 6 weeks old, I am sure you know this is far too young, this is probably the reason he is not housetrained- he can barely control his functions at 10 weeks old. There is certainly no way he can hold it through the night- so that brings me to the next question- if he doesn't have potty pads in his area- he needs them or he needs you to get up multiple times during the night to let him relieve himself. He may not even cry- so you might just have to set an alarm every few hours to get up and do it. I think it is very important at his age to make sure he is not sleeping in a mess all night- this will reinforce the idea to him that it is okay to soil where he sleeps and it will be 1000 times harder to potty train. Buy a large stack of cheap/ thin fleece blankets- every time you get up in the middle of the night with him spray down his cage with nature's miracle and put a new blanket in the crate with him. You want him to start to realize that a clean place is more pleasant than a dirty place. If you want to put pads in the crate with him or already are- switch to an expen- put a bed/ blankets on one side- food and water in the middle- and the pads on the other side- this will encourage him to leave the place he sleeps/ eats to go to the pads and go to the bathroom.

As far as where to sleep- I prefer having dogs, especially very young ones sleep in my room- this way I can hear them if they need me- although like I said he may not be even crying for you to come so it may not make a huge difference as far as the bathroom at this point. Both of mine were crate trained in my bedroom and it did not make a difference as far as them liking the crate- they both slept through the night and will now behave very well if they are crated for any reason.

Hope some of this helps! Good Luck.

Armani & Chloe
ArmaniMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!