View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidget529 View Post
Thanks for posting! It was great seeing the yorkies in the agility! I will have to show my husband this eve - he will also enjoy! We keep talking about trying to get our little Gidget in agility, but haven't gotten around to it - I've been having some health issues lately.

I was wondering - I've always heard people saying about how fragile yorkies legs are...do you need to have a larger yorkie to get into agility? Gidget is only 4.15 lb.
Well first the course jumps will be sized (height and width wise) according to the height of the dog competing.

In terms of fragility I would check with my vet first. Some of our Yorkies have dense bones or thicker boney structure, and some have pretty thin bones comparatively speaking. You would want sound knees and hips and elbows, because the jumping does stress these joints.

You can see the different heights of the jumps when you compare the BRT's and the yorkies jumping same equipment just different heights or widths.

Then I would make sure my dog is in good physical condition before agility. That means daily walks, try hills up and down, or an in home treadmill. Swimming is an excellent conditioning and or rehabilitation activity. If hills are not available, and your house has stairs, leash the pup up and you and she walk up and down stairs for 10-15 minutes a day.

Now if agility is not for your pup, try rally, it is top notch fun, and there are no jumps involved.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!