View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #19
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodizt View Post
I called. Muffin's sugar is stable. Cassie's is dropping to 78. I am terrified.
Isn't that still in the normal range? Are they saying differently? Here is a reference I found on line to verify that number is usually well within normal.

"Normal blood sugar values for a dog run between 65- 110 mg/dl, but can be a little higher if the dog is stressed, excited, or shortly after eating. The glucometers that you use at home do tend to provide readings that are lower than the actual blood glucose level. But in your case, this is actually beneficial. Since your are monitoring for low blood sugar as a result of a history of insulinoma, this will hopefully catch your dog before his levels go too far down.
If his readings are in the 65- 70 range, feed him- preferably something dense in carbohydrates, and then re-check 1/2- 1 hour later. If it is below 65, feed him and run him into your vet for a blood glucose on the Chemistry analyzer and possibly some dextrose intravenously.

Read more: Pet Questions - canine blood sugar levels - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/pet/084zs-canine-blood-sugar-levels.html#ixzz1KdVWjIIK" This was answered online by a vet.

I am very curious -- is this vet's office saying that 78 is something to be distressed about? I am not understanding at all. It seems like they should be reassuring you at this point, not trying to panic you.

Last edited by FlDebra; 04-26-2011 at 05:42 AM.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!