View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I think you have made a very wise choice. I think perhaps the reason mine never have problems is because they are on the same food all the time with no change until after they have puppies. The food I feed is 28% protein and 17% fat.

Charlie and Mary.....do you mind sharing what foods you recommend?

Here is a couple of websites that have some good information, I don't agree with all of it but it is interesting. I quoted the paragraph about not feeding a raw diet. I found that interesting. Also the part about worming the pregnant bitch, I don't do that because my dogs don't have worms. I did not know that bitches could be wormed with Panacur while pregnant.

http://caninegeneticreserve.com/docu...t_Bitches2.pdf

Responsible Breeding - The Care and Feeding of the Breeding Bitch - Part Two
Food recommendation is not something I do readily. It is decision that one needs to make on their own and it may require some testing of different brands. I know that is what I had to do. Some brands didn't agree with some of my gang's stomachs...so there was alot of testing and consulting with my vet/nutritionist.

The one recommendation I will make is to make sure that the food of choice and treats that you provide your female with whelp, does not contain any soy. Soy is a known calcium depleater.

I don't ever worm a female. What I do is have her tested prior to breeding, but I would think having her wormed prior to breeding would be the safest procedure. I've never had a female or a litter test positive. I don't ever, ever give any chemicals to my breeders; dog or bitch.

Last edited by Mardelin; 04-21-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!