View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
kjcmsw
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenlong View Post
HI~ how you let her eat twice a day? i left the food down for 10min but she doesnt eat it then i take it away. I put down the food for 10 min in next meal but she still doesnt eat...i thought she is hungry but she doesn't eat.. she eats when i feed her by hand... Do i need to just be patient leave down the food there for 10min rules in every meal?

I'm just curious...why is it important to leave the food down for only 10 minutes? Are there other animals in the house that will come and eat it?
What if she isn't hungry right at that exact time? It'd be like someone putting your dinner plate down when you weren't hungry and say eat or that's it until the next meal. Wouldn't that be force feeding? I would think she'd learn to eat (over eat) whether she was hungry or not because she'd have learn it's now or much, much later.
I put fresh food in my dogs dish in the morning...the eat a few bites and it remains the rest of the day and then they finish it off around our dinner time.
My experience has been dogs are like kids...they'll eat if their hungry and not if they're not. And like kids regarding our food choices for them...they will train us well (to be at their beck and call) as long as we give into their whims.
I tell my dogs (as I did my kids) you have two choices: "take it or leave it".
Leave the dog's food down for a couple days --- no worries, they want to survive, they'll eat when they get hungry enough.
(of course I wouldn't recommend this for a small puppy who could get hypoglycemic quickly nor for a dog with a 'true' food allergy-type condition) So if your dog is mature, generally healthy...take charge. Find a reasonably healthy food that she'll eat (initially) and stick with it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!