View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Chanelie
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Pyometra would still be possible this way (even stump pyometra is possible if they don't get all of the uterus). So I don't think it would be something I'd consider.
With an OVE, pyometra is only possible if all of the ovarian tissue is not removed. The uterus by itself will not cause pyo.

With the traditional spay they have to leave some uterus behind (the part that attaches to the cervix) so if ovarian tissue is not removed this could also result in pyo.

Looking at both surgeries, pyo is equally possible with both if the ovarian tissue is not completely removed.

Mardelin, what I am being told is that my girl is too small for laparoscopic surgery. She's just over 3 pounds at 12 months old so even if I beefed her up over the next year I don't think she will ever reach the 5 pound mark. They do OVE surgeries via an incision that is smaller compared to the traditional spay because they dont have to worry about removing the uterus.

From what I've read, this type of spay is standard in most of Europe. The curious part is that I don't think sterilization is all that prevalent in Europe, right?
Chanelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!