View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelie View Post
Princess Belle--There are a few vets that do lathroscopic surgery around me but I was told by 2 of them that anything under 10lbs was too small. I really love the idea of the lathroscopic procedure and I am so glad you had a great experience with it. I am going call the other vet and see what they say for the size limit.

When you did the lathroscopic spay, did you do the traditional spay?

Mardelin--yes but this is also true with traditional ovariohysderectomy (OVH) surgery. If all of the ovarian tissue is not removed it often causes "stump" pyometra and requires a second surgery to go in and clean out the infected area plus search for the remaining bit of ovary.

How often would one have to have blood drawn to check for estrogen levels?

Thanks Kalina. With daily medical advances and new treatment protocols for people, it would be silly to think these wont eventually have an impact on veterinary care. Lathroscopic surgery, laser surgery, laser therapy stem cell treatment, etc. are examples of the things that have dramatically improved veterinary care over the past few years. I am really excited to see what the future holds.
I understand that in both procedures it is possible, but more so in laperscopic surgery.

It takes approximately 6 months for all hormones to be expelled by the body. However, if estrogen still remains in the system, a female will exhibit normal Heat Cycle behavior, except the showing of color.

Although, this would provide the wonderful benefit of down time for our girls....I will err on the side of caution until it is perfected. Though money isn't a concern when having my girls spayed as long as they are safe.

I do wonder if vet's will captilize on this procedure, as some vet's are known to do.

I will say that I had laprscopic surgery leaving my ovaries.....and it was the most aganozizing procedure I had experienced. Something that was suppose to be in and out surgery....I ended up staying in the hospital for 7 days.

Last edited by Mardelin; 03-22-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!