View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

A crate is a den not a cage!
You need to switch to a play pen I prefer a 6' x 6' but a 4' x 4' works
4 areas in it 1/4 of the overall area each
It needs a potty area (pad grid potty patch scented potty area works best), play area bed area (crate with soft bed in it) and play area... crate in leave door open:heck take door off if you can even top too for now...

I have a pup mill rescue took over 6 months for him to learn he didn't need to potty and lay next to feces...once the natural instinct to not potty in den is broken its hard to fix...stop crating. Sounds like dog is being crated too long and schedule is way off...

Outdoors:
Put all poop in one area you want t be the potty area...be sure it's sufficiently sized...remove all potty from everywhere else immediately...leash walk there and give potty command...when achieved use food/treat reward and praise.
Indoors:
Remove all potty immediately, use bleach to remove scent completely...feed on strict schedule and keep dog out of crate and with you for 20 minutes then take potty, carry dog, leash dog whatever it takes. Take potty walk play ball encourage "movement" then even if you have to pick up and carry while pooping starts (gross I know-trust me I really know) take to potty spot.
***Punishing is ineffective and can work against you hence the dilemma now...try using a brown rice based food like Innova (the one with the Yorkie on it) small bites chicken.

concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!