View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
bellababy08
YT 1000 Club Member

Hi Welcome to YT.

I have 2 yorkies one is 2 1/2 yrs old fully pottied trained and a 6 month old that is doing excellent on his potty training but I would not call him fully pottied trained...I don't give him a chance to fail...I'm very diligent on potty breaks...I take him out every 2 to 3 hours...while I do give him some free time in the house after he pottys, but if I'm unable to watch him I put him in his play yard...and I always treat after potty breaks even my 2 1/2 yr old wants her treat...so I would continue to give a treat after good potty breaks...if they don't potty outside no treat and I would not give them free run of the house..put them back in there crate or playyard until they do go potty outside...I believe the trick is treats treats treats and being consistent with the potty breaks...if you can't watch them put them in a confined space don't give them the chance to fail...and success started with you....if you are consistent with them they will let you know they have to go out...my 6 month old lets me know now when he has to go out...even if I have him in his play yard...but like I said above I still would not call him pottied trained...it takes months to fully potty train a pup and even at 9 mos I wouldn't say they are pottied trained...my 2 1/2 yr old didn't get full run of the house until she was well over a year old.

PS...I would get a good odor cleaner like Natures Miracle and treat the areas of your carpet that they have pottied on...cleaning with soap and water doesn't get the smell out...and if they can smell potty, they will potty there again...Natures Miracle is the best...you can get it at petsmart...treat the area with Natures miracle spray it on the spots let it stand 15 to 30 minutes than clean with vinger and water.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!