View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #36
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Default Vet care still required

Whatever the reason for the tummy upset, the dog will usually have those increased bowel sounds one can hear. I would still get her a 2nd opinion and even more just to be sure about the extent of her diagnosis but should it turn out to be acute gastroenteritis, non-responsive to treatment, as Jilly's was, just be mindful of whether your dog is one like Jilly that was actually further sickened by the treating good and/or medicatins if she is getting sick over and over. Jilly and I found out the hard way that her G-I tract just could not handle most things dogs typically ingest. She never got an exception to this - just the slightest thing would tip her over the edge and while she was never as ill as during her first very acute episode since I would start her "treatment", she always had a negative reaction with much vomiting and diarrhea. I never had and probably never would again have the temerity to go against veterinary advice but as I watched Jilly only get worse with every treatment all of her vets administered, I came to the singular conclusion that in this case with this dog, the meds were actually contributing to her acute intestinal irritation far more than they were helping. I doubt that I could ever do something like that again but direct observation of her sudden, acute exacerbations of symptoms led me down that path. I got the feeling that her vets were not listening to me about the meds or special foods making her worse once dispensed, so, with her fading very fast, I took a chance that in this instance I might be right. Once, I took her home, the one female vet advised me on the amounts of the kaopectate and Pepto, etc., to try for Jilly but I could practically hear her rolling her eyes over the phone when I called with questions but at least she was amenable to my trying those things since nothing else was helping Jilly the least bit. Looking back, I realize that it was foolish and I do not recommend it except as an example that once in a while even the experts with their exams, consultations, tests, etc., are not always 100% able to see the whole picture and sometimes do not give adequate consideration to what the pet owner tells them about the dog's interval history and symptoms, instead of just trusting in their various medications, very special dog foods, etc. In Jilly's G-I case, they just did not believe their medications and the very special food were actually adding to the morbidity of her acute gasroenteritis.

I found many ways to learn to fix Jilly'sr food to give her as much variety as possible but Jilly was never a picky eater once she got well. But I was forever a believer in that Science Diet Sensitive kibble for Jilly as it was all she could safely eat without a seriously very bad bout of vomiting and diarrhea. What is so remarkable now is I have a 3rd Yorkie in my life, Tibbe, who has never vomited(has spit up a few times) or never had diarrhea! He can eat anything.

But nothing about Jilly's acute G-I episode has changed my mantra about what to do when my dog is behaving strangly, ill or injured - get them to the vet as soon as possible and get consultations as necessary. My veterinarians have been right about every other single illness or injury in my dogs' lives(including the rest of Jilly's) over the years except that one so I think they have a pretty good record!
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!