View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #33
Misti1
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Did you say if they have checked your baby out for pancreatitis and other things. They did that with my Jilly but all 3 vets came up with was acute gastroenteritis. Well, it was risky but since the vets were talking about "quality of life" issues with Jilly having been ill so long and no other Dx except her gastoenteritis, the vets were talking of just keeping her hooked to an IV there at the clinic while they sought out another consult for her to A&M. I took her home to just try my own regimen for a couple of days. I took her off of the antibiotics they had her on(each dose caused a fresh bout of horrible diarrhea followed with diarrhea changing into the dark, tarry stool), gave her a 1/4 quarter full of a dropper of kaopectate, and syringed sugar water 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. in her lip pocket once every 15 -45 minutes and took her off her last special dog food. After about 8 - 10 hrs., I gave her a few pieces of the Science Diet kibble all mashed up into powdery bits and she licked it off the tip of my finger. Later, she licked a bit more off. I had her on a towel wrapped heatig pad turned to low for her rumbling tummy(could hear her thrashing insides - knew she had riotous gas) for about 15-30 mins. at a time, and after a bit, I gave her a drop or two of Simethicone from a Phazyme capsule I had. Her stools would vary from awful diarrhea/pus to the dark, sticky stools but they started to get less watery when they were diarrhea and less dark and sticky after a 2nd dose of the kaopectate 6 hrs. later. We kept up this regimen for about 2 days and she began to eat the Science Diet off my finger with relish and drink water on her own so I gave her the kibble sort of broken up into smaller pieces and she gobbled it. Next dose of kaopectate was just 1/8 of the dropper and 6 hrs. later, another 1/8. Her stool began to get quite firm and normal and went from that to what turned out to be "normal" for her, slightly dry. Took her off the kaopectate and over the next few days right after any strange stool, I gave her 1/8 dropper of Pepto-Bismol to soothe her tummy every 8 hours or so. Within about a week, she was doing great. Wasn't too long after that she was panting for a bite of my Cheerios and I got her a dry Cheerio out of the box and gave it to her. Boom! Within hour or so, vomiting, both diarrhea bouts - runny water turning into sticky/dark later - loud tummy sounds - sick little girl. I redid my original treatment for a day and she settled back down and got well again. Thereafter, even the tiniest bit of regular dog treat of any kind, any bite of human food and she was very sick again for 12 - 20 hours so I learned this little dog of mine could not eat anything ever other than the Science Diet Sensitive kibble so I learned to make treats of it, cook it, microwave and bake it to give her some variety but that is how she lived the rest of her life out and she flourished. As I say, that is what worked for Jilly when her myriad vets and I were all at a loss as what to do next and I do not know if any of that would help or hurt your baby at all. I sure hope you do find out what will help her as it is a scary and awful time when your baby is not responding to vets' care but is just getting worse. My prayers are going out to you and your baby.
Everything you mention is what is happening to Maya. ESPECIALLY being able to HEAR her tummy make those awful sounds. I think you have me on to someting here.

THe on problem I will have is when I go out of town , At her other home they let them eat popcorn, chicken , whatever, after she has come home she always get sick.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!