View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinhopark View Post
I too am thinking about getting fantatical about the whole teeth cleaning thing...but before I do, is combining all these treatments all at once doing more harm than good? I am not a vet, nor a chemist...but should we be spraying, applying gel, brushing daily (or more), adding additives to pet drinks, giving dental treats, etc... Will there be any harm of overdosing on a certain chemical, or will certain chemicals adversely interact with others?

Are these products supposed to be used solely on their own, or is it fine to use multiple treatments at once without any ill effects? As long as it is not introducing new hazards to the pets life, then I am all for it...I am looking for ways to reduce the number of dental cleanings for my little guys, because the thought of them going under and possibly not waking up makes me really nervous.
I think using more than one treatment is beneficial, but I wouldn't use sprays along with water additives. Personally I don't trust the water additives, and if they do work, I'm thinking that must be a lot of additive to be giving your dog; Joey drinks a lot of water! With Petzlife, you use it 20 minutes before and/or after food and water is given, in other words, the mouth should be fairly dry, and clean. If you are preventing tartar, three times a week is enough, if you are trying to eliminate it, once a day or more often may be necessary. It is said to soften tartar, and then you should brush the softened tartar away at a later time. We brush the teeth once a week. I use Petzlife, tooth brushing, as well as bully sticks, which helps scrape the teeth clean, he uses bully sticks every night. Tartar is such a problem with yorkies, I think it may take more than one approach to control it, however, I believe you are correct in thinking that you should know what each product is doing, and what chemicals it contains, so that you are not "overdosing" on anything. I believe that yearly check-ups are necessary to see if what you are doing is working.

Join today and remove this ad!