Thread: yorkie prego
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #68
dawn27
2+2=4 X the Love ♥
Donating Member

Thank you and you are very welcome.....

I would start check you second hand / Good Will stores for used sheets, towels, baby blankets and whatever you can get your hands of for bedding materials. Its always good to have plenty of clean bedding on hand, they do get soiled very fast.

I'm not sure if you have given any thought on what to use for a whelping box. You will need somewhere for these to keep them safe and for the those rambunctious times when plaing for about 8-10 weeks. One good idea to use for your whelping box that would work for the first few weeks would be an under the bed storage tote. They are inexpensive and roomy enough for pup to move around when they get older. At about 10 days or so they will start to leave the bedding area to relieve themselves and than return. It is also short enough for mamma' to get in and out of. But you will need something larger at about 3 weeks old. That is when the pups will need more room to move around and play.

I actually make my whelping box myself. I made it so that it could be broken down and stored when not in use by hinging the corners. Later I had to add an additional hinged portion to top that I can flip up and latch to prevent the pups from escaping. It really was not that hard to do and the cost was about 60.00. The bulk of that being better wood choice and the hinges. But for you and a one time use, you could get by by just screwing all four corners. Maybe even adding a hinged flip down door for mamma to get in and out of.

There are links to some pictures below:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!