View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #160
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastacea View Post
I dont want to speak prematurely, but we did receive a money order for a refund in full from Crystal's husband. I haven't cashed it yet though. He seemed like he wanted to settle and the mo looks real and all. Yes, we still have Nibbler. I didn't end up having to go to court.
I just read through all of this thread and was pleasantly surprised to see she refunded your money and let you keep Nibbler. I don't think she had much choice as she KNEW if you went to court you would get that and more.

I am glad you are keeping Nibbler! Sorry you have had to endure this. When we don't get the dog we wanted it is such a mixed blessing situation. Of course you bond with them and want the best for them, but they are not the dog you had decided upon and in many cases a person really cannot manage getting yet another dog (space, housing regs, vet bills, etc.), so this prevents getting the desired breed for many years. I know any dog is loved and becomes part of the family but many of us have had the dream of owning a Yorkie for years and to have that put out of reach is so unfair.

I still do not think there is any excuse for this situation. The puppy is so obviously NOT a purebred yorkie, no breeder should sell it that way. She HAD TO KNOW! No one is that oblivious! And if she is, she has no business breeding. A breeder has a responsibility to be knowledgable about the breed! Nowhere in her posts did I read that she would remove the two dogs from her breeding program or even DNA check them and her other breeding dogs. She says she gets "reasonably priced" dogs, sells them for low prices ($300 - $400) and still makes a profit. As Gemy so eloquently wrote, that is just IMPOSSIBLE if you are taking the right precautions in breeding, to include all pre-mating health tests. This breeder also made a comment about breeding pets instead of show dogs. Seriously, all breeders should be breeding to the standard! You make sure both sire and dam are within breed standard and then some of the pups might not be show quality but they are at least close to standard! There is no breeding for pets vs breeding for show. If the dam and sire are not close enough to standard to show, they should not be bred.

I would say anyone selling yorkies for less than $900 sends a red flag. On further investigation, you might find they are doing the right things and selling good puppies from good parents. But....it should at least send up a red flag to be further investigated. Always google the breeder and do some due diligence on her sales history and reputation. I would not let one sour post spoil a breeder, but when she is no longer allowed to show 2 different breeds with AKC and there are numerous complaints online easily found in a google search, that pretty well sends enough red flags to turn me the other way.

I made the same mistake first time around so in no way am I saying anything against any buyers! We tend to trust the breeders, especially ones that have been in business a long time. But I have learned the hard way too. My very first "yorkie" was a cute curly haired muppet that had several deviations from standard. I spayed her and loved her madly but she was really not what I had wanted for so long. Next time around, I really looked long and hard. Made myself NOT take the first adorable puppy I saw, even made myself NOT go look until I was satisfied with what I found about the breeder. Don't trust blindly -- do research and make sure! Helping spread the word with your thread is good for all!

Thanks for sharing your painful experiences in this thread. It makes for a very good learning tool.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!