View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
BiewerDiva
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
As far as waiting till a dog is a year and in coat. If you plan to do this prior to sending the dog out with a handler, it's what I would recommend. However, I'd begin to take the dog in the ring as a pup for proper training....getting it use to the sights and sounds of the show venue, getting use to being in the ring with other dogs. Giving the dog a chance to mature and love the ring. I've seen too many owners hold their dogs back until they were in full coat and their dog hated the ring.....
Thank you for your input, the both of you. I have signed up for conformation classes that start in a couple of weeks so that I can learn about handling myself. BJH thank you for your input about the eyeshine. I didn't know what that was and did a quick YT search and found several examples. I am excited to go home from work and try that out to see what happens.

If her coat turns out to be cottony, I will still want to do the training and take her to shows, so that I can still learn for a future prospect. Do you think that other exibitors will turn their nose up or judge because I didn't bring a dog that didn't have the correct coat texture?

I have discovered a breeder/exhibitor in my town (actually just lives about 3 miles from me!) and I hope to meet her soon. I would love to see her dogs and have her look at mine as well.
BiewerDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!