View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiewerDiva View Post
Thank you for that - I get that every judge may interpret standards differently than others. That makes sense. The only reason I said a year from now is because an exibitor/breeder that I've been emailing a little bit said she doesn't show anything under year. I guess since she's seasoned and knows what is definite show quality and what isn't then I guess that would be make sense. I hadn't thought of the real show ring as training. Thanks for the additional perspective and insight.

I read somewhere, and am not sure if this is true - maybe you could clarify; that Yorkies that have a bluish tint to their skin means their coat will turn the same way? Is that wrong?
Bluish tint is an indicator that the dog will retain color, however, I've seen dogs with the blue tint to the skin stay black. Another area to look at is the pubic area of adog....if it's black with no indication of changing color....pretty good chance the dog will remain black and soft coated. Most black coated dogs are soft coated. I've only seen or felt one or two black dog that had a true silk coat. Once you've felt this coat you never forget it.

Now if a dog has a pinkish skin it's a pretty good indicator the dog will go light.

What you need to do is obtain the illustrated standard, which shows you how to recognize the correct color pattern on a dog.

If a dog breaks color too young, it's a pretty good indicator that a dog will go light. I prefer that a dog doesn't begin to break color until about 10 months of age. And then I prefer the blue bleeds through, not start changing at the topline.

As far as waiting till a dog is a year and in coat. If you plan to do this prior to sending the dog out with a handler, it's what I would recommend. However, I'd begin to take the dog in the ring as a pup for proper training....getting it use to the sights and sounds of the show venue, getting use to being in the ring with other dogs. Giving the dog a chance to mature and love the ring. I've seen too many owners hold their dogs back until they were in full coat and their dog hated the ring.....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!