View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
mscat
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi43 View Post
Recently my yorkie and my shorkie had diarrhea problems so I was giving them chicken rice and sweet potato which they loved. The vet said not to give them canned dog food. Now that the problem is cleared up I can't get them back on dog food again. I've tried everything. I've tried adding the canned dog food slowly a little at a time but that doesn't work. I've tried almost every dog food on the market but expensive and cheap but they eat the chicken and rice and leave the dog food even when I mix it all up so they can't pick it out. I'm at my wit's end. I'm going to talk to the vet on Saturday and see if she has any ideas in the meantime I've been giving them just boiled chicken rice and sweet potato. I've also been giving them vitimin suppliments.
I believe the main problem with canned food is that it is not good for their teeth. Teeth brushing every day would help solve that problem. When my yorkie would not eat do to stress, I had to start over. Hand feeding her, freshly made chicken without any greese. Then I was able to mix in the chicken with the canned food, but, i would also add water. I found out that she loved the chicken the best , canned . I did by a high protien canned food, that wellness makes.
Gradually , I was able to get her to eat Wellness kibble like the rest of my dogs. Part of the reason she was having a hard time eating was that she had constipation, very hard stools. She is fine now, but it took a while. Tey to find a food that they really enjoy , "dog food" and mix it up very well , with the chicken , so they can't just pick out the chicken and eat that. I also added a little bit of vegies . She also liked her food warmed up .
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!