Thread: Hi Ya'all!
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
cally930
Donating YT 500 Club Member

First off - Hi and Welcome!!! You will get lots of information here. You have plenty of time before you get your puppy so go through some of the old posts and read up on as much as you can. There are really very knowledgeable people on here. You will be amazed.

What I can suggest is try not to get too anxious and bring the puppy home to early. It is very highly recommended that the puppy not leave its mom and littermates before 12 weeks of age (Definitely not before 10). It learns a lot from them, so it is never a good idea to take them away too early. You may have separation anxiety issues, biting, barking - and that may be due to them leaving too early. I know you probably can't wait to get him home - but it will be better fro you in the long run too.

What I did when I got my first puppy home - and it really helped me so much - was to get a baby's pack n' play. You can probably find a used on fairly cheap. You can then put it anywhere in the house that is comfortable for you and for the puppy not to feel that he has been left alone and away from everyone. The on one side you can put a soft comfy bed, his food and water bowls - and on the other side you can line it with the pee pads. Slowly, slowly you can expand its area - but really do it slowly so you can have a better eye on him. You really can't fully start housebreaking until about 4 months old. You will need lots and lots of patience - and give lots and lots of praise for when he goes when he's suppose to go.

My Coco was fully 100% housebroken by the time she was 8 months old. Beckham............... well we can say we are still working on it. LOL!

Again, welcome and good luck with your new little addition. Hope you enjoy him.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!