View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deonk1 View Post
When I go to puppy/agility class I spend half the class rewarding him with tug of war instead of food. If you have a suitable toy, and know your dog, you can play pretty "rough" without hurting him. Harley has learned to follow my hand, so it looks like I'm tugging on him, but I'm really only guiding him around the floor with the toy. I've also taught him to play growl when we play tug. Just make sure if you start playing tug that you have a good "drop it" cue. A tug game should be completely controlled by you, and the dog should only "win" a few times, so that you don't teach the dog a fun game of take the toy and get chased. in case the dog was ever to pick up something they can't tug. For Harley some days it is a better attention getter than food. I've been using tugs to teach him heel, etc.
I never finished my thought on the drop it... the point is to make sure they don't start resource guarding, especially with the growling thing I've taught Harley. I always get him to drop it, and make him sit, then I give the toy back if I"m done tugging. I rarely let him just take the toy mid tug and end it. if he "wins" I take a few seconds to take it back from him and play again, then finish on my terms.

Not sure if any of that makes sense, I'm on "spring break" and it's turned more into "spring workaholic" ie... I'm swamped and exhausted. lol
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!