View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHouston View Post
The "Good Luck" is genuine, and so is the various steps to doing this, which includes "READ, ASK, LOOKUP, and MORE". Breeding is not a bad thing to do, as long as you are well informed, AND, patient.
You hit the nail on the head with this comment.

OP, breeding takes much more knowledge than knowing you need a male and female to make babies. I'm not trying to sway you into not breeding, but I do want you to know you need much more knowledge in the subject before you proceed and have fabulous results. Not only do you need to know the health history of your breeding pair, but their sires/dams, their grandsires/granddams, and all of their siblings just so you get a good idea of the health that are in your dogs genetic history. The female you obtain has to come from a line of free whelpers so you know there is a high chance she won't have complications during the whelp. Both stud and dam must be evaluated for their health, and no, a standard vet check is not thorough enough. You have to have them tested for STD's even if they are both first timers. You also have to have assisted in whelps before so you have an idea of what a complication looks like, and you'll know what to do. Oh, and a savings account just in case your female needs a c-section.

I hope I'm not forgetting anything. I'm sure others will tell you none of the above is really needed. People take short cuts all the time, but that doesn't make it right. Breeding yorkies truly is a science and it's not for the weak, like myself. I'm just smart enough to know, I know nothing and shouldn't breed. Hence, my boy is already altered.

One last thing before I get off my soapbox. There are people who might think that losing one puppy or two is no big deal. They consider a successful whelp when mom is still alive and there is at least one surviving pup. To me that is devastatingly sad. They call the loss of life successful?

Good luck! You still have time to try to learn all there is to know to have a good safe, successful breeding experience.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!