View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #18
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

Unlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretegurl View Post
I was basing it on multiple experiences in the stores from Nor Cal to the Bay...not one...I got sick of seeing dead and sick animals in the cages and finding unhelpful uninformed staff to be the rule of thumb in what I experienced shopping there, and as I said I'm sure there are ppl there who do care are the exception to the rule but honestly...the majority from what I've personally seen.

Anyways let me restate my thoughts...there is a Yorkie talker on here who works there and she's wonderful! In my opinion she's an exception.

"Animal abuse at Petco (or Petsmart)...shocker...not really"
Glad you did speak up...I too would have and probably would have been kicked out for being so loud...maybe a letter to corporate too...
I used to raise exotic rodents, Russian dwarf hamsters and Chinchillas to be exact...the majority of the animals these big box pet stores get their chinchillas from are farms that raise them in conditions similar to pup mills so that's my bias. I don't really love reptiles, but I care about their conditions and I've seen them dehydrated to the point of being literally dead in the stores displays...it would be one thing, but to have personally seen it so many times turned me off big time!

I just think people should also be aware of that, I'm sure small pet stores are often the same, but in smaller retailers they don't have the profit margins to justify the loss percentages in the least...sorry I came off so crudely, it just really has turned my stomach to be aware of these things on such a personal level.

Next time you go in note the conditions of the chinchillas and hamsters, many are suffering neurological issues and behavioral problems. Specifically chinchillas are nocturnal and don't like a lot of light, they need ample room to move and jump the cages or display cases in these stores are cruel confinement for them...it's similar to knowing USDA regulations say a dog only need 6" more room than its nose to the cage wall to be considered ample...we all know that's ugh how do I say it...a bunch of nonsense. I don't know much about reptiles but seeing them dead enough times speaks volumes to me.

Last edited by concretegurl; 02-20-2011 at 01:07 AM.
concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!