View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazzyK810 View Post
As a yorkie owner who recently purchased (well, technically, it was a gift from my kids ) a yorkie pup, ALL those questions are more than reasonable & to be expected. Anyone with good intentions for your puppy would be more than willing to answer them & then some.
I agree I also had to allow for a home inspection, one of the kennels allowed for me to send pictures along with documentation and a video of my home yard, verifying ownership and in the least landlord approval. I don't think marriage should be asked about as I take personal offense to that-but more so who all is in the home (but that's just me I know).

Furthermore I had to respond to questions about what type of food I would be feeding, veterinary references (I sent groomer and dog day care references also)
and a little question-air specific to the breed (like did I understand about their reflux issues-they should use a water bottle not a bowl, know about ear plucking, beef staining, bacteria and yeast infections prevalent in mini schnauzers, how gassy they can be breed specific behaviors...this was for my schnauzer
but still breed specific questions and "adopter" knowledge is especially important I would think for Yorkies...like do they know about hypoglycemia and etc.
I actually respected and felt so much more confident in the breeder I was getting my dog from because of the questions they asked and in edition my breeder seemed even more knowledgeable and able to give me continual support which was important to me as an adopter...

I should say though the first time I contacted a rescue and was asked if I was willing for them to do a home inspection I was really shocked, I was like why does some stranger need to come into my home to verify I'm going to care for this dog I am getting him from a rescue doesn't that show I care enough already? I have volunteered at rescue before and we never did it...but after someone was very understanding in explaining why I was willing to do so and again respected the person adopting the dog to me more because of their show of after care and placement care.

I love that one breeder I have talked to retains a $500 deposit until proof the pup she adopted out on a limited registration (as she does with all she adopts out) was actually altered as her contract requests...hope she'll jump in on this convo. (hint hint) I really love how many breeders only have litters after their wait list is full enough they can select homes from already pre-qualified families.

To the OP on this situation so glad you as a breeder were able to see the red flags and just said NO!

Last edited by concretegurl; 02-18-2011 at 08:28 PM.
concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!