View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
No comments on the website, but yes, there is some evidence to indicate that a family pet who can be kept away from an unaltered dog of the opposite sex (of course accidents happen) should not be altered as early as some vets are doing it now. I would not alter my dog at four months. I would hesitate to do a large breed before a year, although probably would.

S/N is being done way too early all across the country. It started for shelters to be able to place the pups faster, but for whatever reason the idea that this is a great practice seems to be everywhere now. Not really true.
I agree with this.

My opinion about S/N has evolved over the last couple years after reading more about it. It's definitely unpopular to question whether to S/N...but it's a good discussion nonetheless.

My sister added a dog to her family (large dog) a couple years ago. She is a physician, and it reallllly bothered her to remove such important hormones from the body by neutering her dog. Her dog never has marked in the house, so I guess they were lucky. For her, neutering was the wrong decision.

I'm not saying don't S/N, but after reading a lot of articles etcetera, I can't say the statement that "S/N is better for the pet" is really a fact...I think it's more complicated than that. I too think it's often done too early.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!