View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
MaddiesMommie
LoveMy2
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post

Large breeds you should actually wait later. I know of a respectable Rottweiler breeder that does not allow her males to be neutered until 18 months (in her contract). It messes with their growth plates or something and sometimes makes them grow weird, which can cause issues later on with hips and joints, etc.

I am ALL for spay/neuter. I think the general public is NOT responsible enough to be keeping unaltered pets away from other unaltered pets. However I do think 4 months is too young. I waited until Jackson was 7 months old. I did not want to wait longer than 8 months because I did not want marking to start or anything.
I agree with this 100% even the most careful people can have accidents. I would also like to have Ernie neutered before he gets too comfy with all those typical male behaviors. But I will just have to keep researching and decide what is best for us.

I have not found any actual studies to read. I find other people's opinions, and articles written by common people (not vets), and then Wikipedia. There is just so much to wade through on the net.
MaddiesMommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!