View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
No comments on the website, but yes, there is some evidence to indicate that a family pet who can be kept away from an unaltered dog of the opposite sex (of course accidents happen) should not be altered as early as some vets are doing it now. I would not alter my dog at four months. I would hesitate to do a large breed before a year, although probably would.

S/N is being done way too early all across the country. It started for shelters to be able to place the pups faster, but for whatever reason the idea that this is a great practice seems to be everywhere now. Not really true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddiesMommie View Post
We recently added an AmStaff to our gang. I know we are going to neuter him, and initially I was ready to have this done at 4-5 months. However, my husband actually started reasearching and found studies that contradict what I believe to be true: S/N the sooner the better.

I am still reading information and am not sure if the studies for large breeds would have the same result in small breed dogs...???
Large breeds you should actually wait later. I know of a respectable Rottweiler breeder that does not allow her males to be neutered until 18 months (in her contract). It messes with their growth plates or something and sometimes makes them grow weird, which can cause issues later on with hips and joints, etc.

I am ALL for spay/neuter. I think the general public is NOT responsible enough to be keeping unaltered pets away from other unaltered pets. However I do think 4 months is too young. I waited until Jackson was 7 months old. I did not want to wait longer than 8 months because I did not want marking to start or anything.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!