View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
I agree 100%! I put my first yorkie thru surgery before she was 7 months old....because I followed the majority...and their views are spay EARLY before first heat.

However because my second yorkie was so small I was hesitant...therefore I did a LOT of research! I came across this information..

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longt...uterindogs.pdf

Although some situations it is in the best interests of the pet to be s/n at an earlier age... research is proving that dogs should be allowed to mature...early s/n removes vital hormones necessary for their growth and development, and significantly increases risks for bone cancers, hypothyroidism, increases risk of urinary incontinence in females, increases risk of chronic urinary infections....and the list just goes on.

I don't know anything about the person in the O.P.s first post...but opinions are shifting on this subject.

Many people may have done s/n at an early age and had pets that lived to a ripe old age....but does that mean that the lifespan and health of yorkies as a whole has been improved with early s/n?

Research is showing just the opposite.

I only wish I knew then what I've learned now. I would have waited to have Daizy's surgery until she was fully mature.
I found your link interesting but then I checked the referenced studies to the data that went back as far as 1970 With medical research changing and evolving almost daily I cannot understand why an article would be written with references dating back 41 years The most current reference I believe was 2005. To me that indicated the author was looking to site references no matter how old to support his article and that skewed and deceptive.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!