View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Wabbit
Love my little flowers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
No comments on the website, but yes, there is some evidence to indicate that a family pet who can be kept away from an unaltered dog of the opposite sex (of course accidents happen) should not be altered as early as some vets are doing it now. I would not alter my dog at four months. I would hesitate to do a large breed before a year, although probably would.

S/N is being done way too early all across the country. It started for shelters to be able to place the pups faster, but for whatever reason the idea that this is a great practice seems to be everywhere now. Not really true.
I agree 100%! I put my first yorkie thru surgery before she was 7 months old....because I followed the majority...and their views are spay EARLY before first heat.

However because my second yorkie was so small I was hesitant...therefore I did a LOT of research! I came across this information..

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longt...uterindogs.pdf

Although some situations it is in the best interests of the pet to be s/n at an earlier age... research is proving that dogs should be allowed to mature...early s/n removes vital hormones necessary for their growth and development, and significantly increases risks for bone cancers, hypothyroidism, increases risk of urinary incontinence in females, increases risk of chronic urinary infections....and the list just goes on.

I don't know anything about the person in the O.P.s first post...but opinions are shifting on this subject.

Many people may have done s/n at an early age and had pets that lived to a ripe old age....but does that mean that the lifespan and health of yorkies as a whole has been improved with early s/n?

Research is showing just the opposite.

I only wish I knew then what I've learned now. I would have waited to have Daizy's surgery until she was fully mature.
RIP Honey Rose & Jasmine

Last edited by Wabbit; 02-17-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!