View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
bellababy08
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REC View Post
ok this is what happened this morning.

I got up at 5:30am went downstairs and got Wylie out of his crate and took him outside. I had him on a leash and I repeated "Go Potty" maybe 20 times in 3 minutes. All he wanted to do was play with sticks and leaves. I would give him a gentle little tug on the leash and say go potty. He would walk around, sniff and find something else to play with, Grass, leaves, sticks. So I went in the house got his bowl of food and went straight back out, put the bowl on the patio. He ate breakfast outside and 1/2 way done he went and pooped and came back and finished eating. Still no Pee. By this time we had been out 20 minutes. I Walked thru the grass saying Go Potty and nothing for 5 more minutes. I needed to go inside and start getting ready for work. We went in a 6:00 (total of 30 minutes outside) I put him in the kennel cause I knew he had not pee'd. I went to the restroom downstairs and when I came out I checked on him before going upstairs and he had Pee'd in his Kennel. My DH said it is like he holds it outside and waits to come inside. I'm at a loss.
I have talked to a Trainer at Petsmart and she said take him out for a certain # of minutes decide on 10 or 15 and if he does not go take him back in and put him in the kennel for 15 minutes and keep repeating until he goes outside. But if he is going in the kennel What do I DO?
How big is the crate? if the crate is too big he will pee on one end and sleep on the other end...he is gonna potty in it...the crate needs to be only big enough for them to stand, turn around, and lay down in and thats it...most pups will not potty where they have to sleep...if the crate is to big I would look into getting a smaller crate or put a divider in the one you have to make it smaller.

And how long is your baby in the crate while you are at work? that could be a factor too...no 12 week old pup can hold it for 8 hours or even 4 hours no matter how small the crate is they will potty cause they just can't hold it...than they think its ok to potty in the crate cause they have no other choice...and if that is the case I would recommend getting a play yard to keep your baby in while you are at work...its big enough for food/water/bed/potty pads...and if you are only working on the potty training in the mornings before work and after...its gonna take a long time if ever to get your baby pottied trained...potty training is a 24/7 training the first year

Here is the play yard I suggested...you can order them online off Ebay. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Potty Training Advice-212334023_o.jpg  
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!