View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
kristalblue74
Senior Yorkie Talker

I would second starting over from the beginning. Even if you don't use a crate, it might help to confine your pup if you can't watch him directly. It helps to be on a regular schedule--take him out often (or to the puppy pad), and praise praise praise when he gets it right!! (and treat--I found that the whole potty thing started making much more sense when I used a treat!) Praise/treat is most effective when it's immediate, so take treats out with you!

A few things that I've found helpful:

*potty commands--at first, I used the commands while Chewie was in the act of eliminating, and then used the same phrase when I was praising/treating him

*potty bells--my family laughed at me for doing this until they saw how effective it was! I hung a big jinglebell on the door where we go out to potty, and every time we'd go out, I'd touch it with his paw and use the potty commands, then took him immediately to the grass. He caught on pretty quick--the little stinker likes to use it just to go play! Now we go out on a leash every time (otherwise he crawl under the porch and won't come out!), but I take him out EVERY time he rings.

*PATIENCE. I think whatever your method, patience and consistence are the two biggest factors. I'm just now feeling like Chewie's reliably housetrained (knock on wood!), and he's 9 months old (we started at 3 months)

Best of luck! I know it can be a frustrating process, but it's worth doing right!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!