View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
BonBon
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencar98 View Post
Bonny....my grandma made goulash the same way your Mom did, it was simple but oh so delicious♥. I know her recipe was ground beef, canned whole tomatoes (she would crush them in the pan, but for me it always smashes the macaroni, so I do crush them in a bowl first, or buy crushed). I know she used onion and I add garlic powder although I don't know that was one of her ingredients (lol...even garlic powder back then was considered "exotic" by some). I think the secret to my Gandma's was chili powder....I know she used it, just not sure how much....you couldn't really taste it and think "hmmmm....chili powder", it was not a strong note in the dish.

Brown ground beef and onion, while you're cooking the macaroni. Cook the macaroni a minute or so less than package instructions because you'll cook it for a bit, after adding to the ground beef mixture.

To the beef add....can of tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder (if you don't use fresh onion browned with your beef), salt , pepper and probably a tablespoon of chili powder. Now, add your macaroni, simmer for another few minutes.

I'm known here for my "one-dish" meals so I add a cup or so of frozen corn to my goulash. The goulash along with a nice salad and bread and your meal is complete with 2-3 vegetable servings.

Oh...also, don't know how much of a difference it makes but I think it must be huge for the best flavor.....My Grandma always cooked her goulash in a great big cast-iron skillet.

My group likes to added shredded cheddar cheese but I don't, preferring the flavors of the goulash not be overwhelmed by cheese flavor.
Chili powder is a possibility, mom did cook with that sometimes. She always used salt and garlic powder and to this day I can't cook without either of those two things.

I know she did have a big cast iron skillet but can't remember if she always used it for everything. She did use it a LOT though.

I think we're on the right track with this! I never even thought of chili powder, but that would make a lot sense on why mine tastes so different.

Thank you!!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Author Unknown
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!