View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Bonny....my grandma made goulash the same way your Mom did, it was simple but oh so delicious♥. I know her recipe was ground beef, canned whole tomatoes (she would crush them in the pan, but for me it always smashes the macaroni, so I do crush them in a bowl first, or buy crushed). I know she used onion and I add garlic powder although I don't know that was one of her ingredients (lol...even garlic powder back then was considered "exotic" by some). I think the secret to my Gandma's was chili powder....I know she used it, just not sure how much....you couldn't really taste it and think "hmmmm....chili powder", it was not a strong note in the dish.

Brown ground beef and onion, while you're cooking the macaroni. Cook the macaroni a minute or so less than package instructions because you'll cook it for a bit, after adding to the ground beef mixture.

To the beef add....can of tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder (if you don't use fresh onion browned with your beef), salt , pepper and probably a tablespoon of chili powder. Now, add your macaroni, simmer for another few minutes.

I'm known here for my "one-dish" meals so I add a cup or so of frozen corn to my goulash. The goulash along with a nice salad and bread and your meal is complete with 2-3 vegetable servings.

Oh...also, don't know how much of a difference it makes but I think it must be huge for the best flavor.....My Grandma always cooked her goulash in a great big cast-iron skillet.

My group likes to added shredded cheddar cheese but I don't, preferring the flavors of the goulash not be overwhelmed by cheese flavor.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!