View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Teddy was outdoor trained when I brought him home at 8 months old. I had to train him to use the pad when outdoors is not an option. Whichever kind of pads you use, I believe it is important to have a scent to attract the dog. The disposable pads have a scent attractor infused in them. For washables, you can buy a spray at most pet stores.

First, I limited Teddy's freedom in the house so that I could supervise him closely. When he would paw at the glass door to get outside, I would take him to the pad and tell him to potty. Peeing on the pad came readily. I praised him profusely and gave him a kibble for each successful trip to the pad. We still praise and he dances for us, lol.

Pooping was a lot harder. Teddy was so firmly programmed not to poop in the house. I lined up 6 pads together and I penned him in when I knew he needed to go. As he ran back and forth, I told him over and over that it was okay to go potty. It sounds silly, but this was one of the hardest things I have had ever had to do. When he finally pooped on the pad, I cheered and danced. He saw how happy I was and from that day forward, he pooped on the pad.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!