View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #73
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley10 View Post
I cannot take in that much info in such a short time. How did you start out? Did everyone NOT start out by taking it one step at a time? It'll be another year and a half at least before she is even bred. Please allow me to take this at my own pace without being so harsh on my simple questions.
I'm not being harsh at all. I do understand that everyone learns in their own way. My point is that nothing (such as a slightly over standard girl) is an isolated point. Also, health and temperament have much to do with this. Temperament is very much inherited. Also, did your girl come from a line of free whelpers? Regardless of her size, how about her structure? What are her faults? What are the faults of any prospective stud?

I will say that you are being premature in thinking that you can decide by 16 weeks whether your girl is a good breeding prospect. At that age, you still have very much a puppy and have yet to see the dog that she will become. She may be a little big for her age now but stop growing early or she may shoot on up to 10 + pounds. How about her siblings from past litters? How did they turn out? Keep an eye on her, track her development and always refer to the breed standard.

For reference, a couple of good books are Joan Gordon's The Complete Yorkshire Terrier and Ann Seranne's The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog. You have plenty of time to study before making any decision and these books are a very good starting point.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!