View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 01:19 PM   #13
yorkiemom1970
No Longer a Member

I am talking about two different things here, but the same as far as the breeder actually "knowing" every little thing about the puppies. #1- puppies bought by brokers, not ness raised in a kennel. Could have been hand raised by a breeder then the breeder sold their entire litter to someone else to re-sale. I THINK THIS IS VERY WRONG.
#2- Breeders who sale pups that other's care for and handle all of the aspects of raising them. Then returned to the breeder to sale. I'm sure someone would have to be compensated in a situation like that too, and should be, but I just don't go for that either. No matter how busy you are. The puppies should come first to you personally IMO.

Ok, here's where I'm coming from because sometimes its hard to understand what is typed...
Let's say I was a very good breeder of labs. I also showed my labs and had many other things going on in my life. My lab mommy has a litter that I allow someone else to raise for me. I in return sale my puppies, receive the money for them and take the credit. The buyer of my puppy calls me prior to picking up their puppy and ask me how this puppy is doing , or maybe they email me with these questions...What do I tell this person in all honesty? I cannot possibly tell them that little so and so opened his eyes at 11 am this morning or tried to produce his first little bark and it sounded so cute. Being that I probably never heard his first little bark. My point of this was that I would not buy a puppy if it was not with the breeder atleast 5 days out of 7 every week of its life until i picked it up, or for a good part of each day. I know people have to work during the week, but they can also raise a healthy litter and be there with their pups on a daily basis and really know their pups on an individual level and have a job. When I was a legal sec until four yrs ago, I raised a couple litters and held down my full time job. It was tough and my hat goes off to anyone who does it. But every morning and evening I was with my puppies, taking in every little thing they were doing.

Some may or may not agree with this. This is what I was wanting input on. Not puppies raised in a kennel environment by their breeder, I'm totally against that no matter who you are. But not really being raised by their breeder at all. I'm not saying that there are possibly really great breeders who have done this for reasons of their own and pups were well cared for. But to the average puppy buyer, do you think this is what they would want? I think there are 2 kinds of breeders when it comes to the emotional aspect of it: I think there are one's who dote all day long over their babies and all night constantly checking, documenting every new little thing that happens for their future owners and are just really "into" what they are doing. And I think there are breeders who keep the dogs best interest at hand, provide good care for the puppies they sale, but are just all business.

There's always been a debate over the fact that raising puppies is or is not a business.
I'm sorry, but in reality it is. The way someone handles their business is very important to me. The amount of care put into it has a huge influence on if I will respect and look up to any paticular breeder.

Just my feelings.
yorkiemom1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!