View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyDC View Post
Thanks for that info., Nancy.

I am now thinking of maybe switching him back to RC...He loved it....I could even use it as his treats while training. I tried to do the same with the Orijen Puppy and he won't even open his mouth for it. LOL - He gets bad eye boogers now.... I am thinking it is the high levels of protein and fat that aren't agreeing with him.
I use it for training too, the small pieces are perfect. We train twice a day, all of his breakfast and 1/2 of his dinner is used for training. Joey went through a really fussy period and this was the highest quality food that he would eat. I think he isn't as fussy anymore, but he's doing so well on it, I'm not going to switch again, it was too scary. I don't know if the eye boogers are always caused by the food, it could be genetics or environmental factors. I wondered about the protein too, because Blue Wilderness is higher in protein, but I don't really know. I stopped and started the Blue Wilderness to test it, because otherwise I wouldn't have been so sure, and I'm sure it was the food, I just don't know what in the food bothered Joey. Teething can also cause eye drainage, here's a good article. Tear Staining: The Causes & Cures. By the way a little tearing is fine, but his eyes were flooding with thick brown goop, and in the morning they'd be crusty.

Join today and remove this ad!