View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

First I read here that RC was a great food, and then I read it was a horrible food. I tried switch, and many people recommended Blue Wilderness but it caused Joey to have some bad eye drainage, and boogers. The drainage got so bad after 4 days, I switched him back to RC. It took about 10 days to clear up completely but within 24 hours I could see a large improvement. I waited a month and tested again, and the same thing happened. So we went back to RC. I'm not sure grains are is bad, as some people believe. Dogs in the wild eat lots of different things, and have been eating what humans eat for thousands of years. I feed RC and occasionally suppliment it with a few green beans, and other veggies, lean meats, egg, fruits, and yogurt. I don't give processed food, or pork ever. The human foods are just a small part of his diet, less than a tablespoon. He's really doing well on this. I like this site as it dispels many of the myths of dog food, and what's the proper diet. It teaches you to rate a food yourself, and not rely on others to do it for you. The Dog Food Project - Myths about Dog Nutrition. The author has a solid background in Biology and Chemistry as well as nutrition. It says:

Quote:
After completing coursework in Animal Nutrition, Care, Physiology, Diseases and Parasitology, Sabine earned her certification in Animal Care from the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
Dog food Analysis, on the other hand, says that their reviewers have had no training in nutrition; not only that, but most foods are reviewed by only one person. I just don't have the confidence in what they say, but you can learn something from that site too, if you have a good background in nutrition.

Here's what she says about "Grain Free Foods"

Quote:
Grain Free Products
While I do not regard grains as a "bad ingredient" in dog food per se, there is evidence that some dogs are more sensitive to it than others and benefit from being fed products that are formulated with non-grain sources of carbohydrates. The Dog Food Project - Grain Free Dog Foods
Hope you find a food that works for you, but no matter what food you choose, someone will think it's bad.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 01-02-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!