View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

I think it is terrible - leaving a dog in a crate that much of the time. I have even heard of little animals that have not developed properly because they were confined tp such small spaces for so much of the time. I think it is abuse.

You mentioned the dog's being crated from 10 to 12 hours and no one there sometimes over the weekend. Again, I think this is abuse.

I attempted crate training my first puppy, but had him out a lot of the time. The only time he was in the crate was when I couldn't be right there to watch him or if I was gone. Then, I quickly felt guilty leaving him home alone in a crate, so I bought a puppy gate and left him in a large kitchen with a bed, toys, and a pad. And, with neighbors who came over to visit and even occasionally taking him to their houses to play.

I am not a big fan of crate training if puppies end up spending most of their time in a crate. I don't think it's healthy - physically or emotionally. Look at all the energy that puppies and even some grown dogs have. They need to stretch their legs and play and interact with people and other pets. This is how they develop and grow.

I don't think a person should have a dog, if what you described is the way it is going to live.

I certainly share your concern over this dog's care. It will be interesting to see what others think.

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!