View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I'd call my vet and put it in his hands. It's not the digestive problems that makes chocolate deadly, it contains Theobromine, which can have an effect on the central nervous system.
Quote:
Serious poisoning happens more frequently in domestic animals, which metabolize theobromine much more slowly than humans, and can easily consume enough chocolate to cause chocolate poisoning. The most common victims of theobromine poisoning are dogs,[3][4][5]

The first signs of theobromine poisoning are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and increased urination. These can progress to cardiac arrhythmias, epileptic seizures, internal bleeding, heart attacks, and eventually death

In dogs, the half life of theobromine is 17.5 hours, so in severe cases clinical symptoms of theobromine poisoning can persist for 72 hours.[7] Medical treatment performed by a veterinarian involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion and administration of benzodiazepines or barbiturates for seizures, antiarrhythmics for heart arrhythmias, and fluid diuresis. Theobromine poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dark chocolate contains more theobromine than milk chocolate, and it sounds like he vomited most of it up, but I'd still let the vet make the final decisison. He'll also let you know what to watch for.

Join today and remove this ad!