View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
caw
YT Addict

It is very important when you are potty training your pup to place the potty pad in the ONE SPOT you want your dog to use. You are confusing your dog by placing them all around the house. He thinks he can go here and there and everywhere. He needs to be confined in a tiled area until he gets the message. Perhaps a kitchen or hallway. I think he is crying and whining at your mom's place because he hears her moving about through the door and he wants to be where people are. You might actually be better off leaving him at YOUR home in one of the areas I've mentioned above. He wouldn't hear anyone moving about then and you could leave your t.v. on so that there would be some human voices for him. What I did with my yorkie (and still do) is I get up about an hour before I have to start getting ready for work. I take her for a good 20-30 minute walk and then play with her on the floor with her toys. I make sure she has fresh water, food and a fresh potty pad and then I get ready for work. When she was a pup and I was about to go out the door, I would give her a few treats and I had a kong with frozen peanut butter in it so that that would keep her preoccupied while I left. You need to counter a "negative" thing, like leaving, with a "positive" thing. This will help your dog get over separation anxiety and the kong will keep your dog busy for 20-30 minutes after you leave. My dog is 2 years old now and I don't use the kong anymore but I DO toss a few treats on the floor when I am leaving for work. She loves it.
caw is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!