Thread: Food aggression
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
bellababy08
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby yorkie View Post
Yes, Tia is showing dominance over Ally. She will even get inbetween me and Ally so Ally can't get to me. She stops her from climbing the pet steps to get up and down from the couch and has to be first at everything (going out the door, greeting people, hugs & kisses from mom and dad). My husband has to hold Tia down so he can give them both hugs and kisses when he comes home from work. Tia is not agressive at this. She just gets in the way. You can tell it's on purpose too.

I do feed them at the same time and I am always there. Tia used to eat hers all, but has slowed way down and doesn't really eat everything. Ally is super picky and thinks it's a chore to eat. They will sniff each other's food, but have their own dish and I point that out to them. There has only been one case of snapping at the food dish when Ally sniffed Tia's food. I can't do the crate thing because Ally would never eat, plus the kennels are upstairs and I don't want to get into moving them up and down the stairs or putting food upstairs either. They do not get lots of treats. I very seldom give them one. Tia must be going thru the terrible teen years. I guess I'll keep up the observation/supervision and show her who the boss is. Is the 'time out' thing okay to do?

Thanks!
Time out is good as long as you tell Tia no and stop playing with her just walk away and take Ally with you...I think the best thing to do is just supervise and watch them, correct Tia when she try to dominate Ally.

When I first got my girl Bella, she was 11 weeks old now she is 2 yrs old and I had a 12 year old Yorkie Bailey who passed this passed Oct at 14 1/2 yrs old...but when I first got Bella she tried to dominate Bailey. A few week after I got Bella I started noticing Bailey waiting for Bella to get done eating than she would go over and eat her so I started watching them real close at feeding time I seen Bella growl at Bailey when Bailey tried to eat her food at the same time, thats when I noticed all the other little things...Bella taking Bailey toys and chewies and snapping at her when I was trying to love on both, Bella going up stairs first than Bailey same with my little steps I have for them to use to get on the bed at night. I knew than I had a problem...I don't like crates IMO they are only good for traveling to keep them safe...and I did not want to separate them that wasn't going to fix the problem and re-home Bella wasn't an option she was here to stay. so I had to correct Bella's why of thinking and let her know that I was the ruler not her I did the leave it command with her everytime I seen her trying to be dominant over Bailey I said leave it and I would make her leave Bailey alone by removing Bailey and myself and just walking away, it was boring to her to play alone and eventually she got the bigger picture and learned the "leave it" command

I did separate them when I had to go out I didn't want them being together alone at all until Bella was under control cause 2 bitches will fight to the death. It took like 6 mos or more to correct Bella cause she was a pup and VERY head strong LOL but it did work I was able to let them play, sleep and eat together and me go out without separating them, they become the best of buds once Bella knew who was the dominant one and that being me she left Bailey alone.

A get together would be great...somewhere that we can bring our babies too so they can play
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!